Movie Quote Monday

“Omg, you’re one of them…
-Drew Barrymore from Music and Lyrics

This movie is one of my favorites because the whole idea of cozying up to a famous celebrity, albeit an 80s has-been, is so intriguing. In fact, every now and then, I can count on having a dream in which I am best friends with a super-star (usually Jim Carrey). In my dream, I am hanging out with the person and referring to movies or shows they have been in, almost in a reminiscing kind of way. It’s a very cool feeling, and in my dream, I always come to the realization that nobody is ever going to believe that I am hanging out with whoever it is. This realization always comes at the end, when I’m about to wake up and find out that truly, it is an unbelievable dream because of course, it wasn’t real.

There’s another reason that I chose this quote for this week’s edition of Movie Quote Monday. I picked this one, not just because I was watching it last week in an attempt to distract myself while on my new/used elliptical for the first time, but because I can sort of relate to it. I’m not attempting to relate to Hugh Grant’s character who is the 80s has-been that Drew Barrymore is realizing for the first time when she says this line, in fact, my connection to this line is completely different. I chose it because I feel now, that I am “one of them”. One of those people who are into diet and fitness, one of those people like the women I work with who are very careful about watching what they eat. For the longest time, I have watched from the sidelines, knowing that I desperately wanted to be in the game, but just didn’t have it all together to play. My motivation was there, I had every reason to get on the diet and exercise “bandwagon”, but something, my own laziness perhaps, was stronger than my willpower. But now, finally, I am one of them. The reasons to lose weight are now outweighing, so to speak, my desire to remain lazy. As of now, I have a plan, and more importantly, the motivation, to take the weight off. As Billy Blanks put it, on one of his many exercise dvds that I have tried, “You put it on, you can take it off”. For almost 30 years, I have been steadily gaining weight. It is time, to steadily lose weight.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

1 comments:

g-girl said...

Joey loves that movie! lol. He even has the soundtrack. In this case, it's okay to be 'one of them' because it's for your own good!