"An exit to eternal summer slacking..."

"An exit to eternal summer slacking..." (from the song "The Way" by Fastball).

I wouldn't necessarily categorize the past 2 weeks as 'summer slacking', I have certainly done my share of cleaning, organizing, knitting , and half-hearted exercising. As I have done in the past, I have made a list of goals for my summer. It makes sense to do this, afterall, items on a grocery list or any to-do list seem to always get checked off. But then again, lists of big goals/things to-do, seem to go unchecked and eventually fall by the wayside. New Year's Resolutions are a great example of this. When I look at things I really want to accomplish, and know that I haven't completed those tasks, I feel a sense of incompleteness, even if only temporarily.

In less than a month, it will be my turn to celebrate a 30th birthday. I have watched, via Facebook, as many friends and high school acquaintances reached this milestone birthday. Though I may be one of a few people who actually look forward to getting older, I can't help but feel a need to examine my life thus far and take stock of what I've accomplished since my birth in in 1982.

Though I can look back with pride at most of the things I've done in my life, I can also see that I have a lot left to do; get married, have children, meet Jim Carrey... Of all the lists of goals I have made in the past, I didn't make a list of things to do before turning 30, as many people do. As a result, on my 30th birthday, there won't be a reflection on my life's goals. But I still want to feel that sense of accomplishment. So, in the spirit of competition (with myself), I plan to get as much done o n my summer goals list as possible. Losing 50 pounds in less than a month is probably physically impossible. But the other goals aren't. If I don't get at least 3 of the 7 goals checked off, I will officially and most definitely give up on these arbitrary to-do lists. Here I go...

Goals Before I Turn 30 & Explode Isn't that what happens when you turn 30? At least that's what it seems like will happen given everyone's fear of leaving their twenties.

1. Write THE book (the one that I have been writing in my mind my whole life--or atleast for the past 10 years).
2. Finish all 4 knitting projects that are currently in progress.
3. Archive all school newsletters on the website for the 2011-2012 school year.
4. Read 5 books off of my bookshelf that have thus far gone unread.
5. Catch up on my 2 scrapbooks (school and life since college).
6. Sew together liturgical color prayer table cloths for my classroom prayer table.
7. Lose 50 pounds.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

1 comments:

g-girl said...

so what did you complete??