Knitting News Tuesday (6/5/12)

Knitting socks is a lot like getting a tattoo. Before getting a tattoo for the first time, you’re a little bit afraid of the process. You’re unsure if you can really go through with it. Then, once you get your first one, you’re hooked and can’t wait to get another. Sock knitting is very similar. I was very hesitant about knitting socks at first. The process seemed so complicated…turning a heel? Gusset stitches? What the hell is a gusset?! But then, I just picked a pattern that I liked (Monkey by Cookie A), and armed with sock yarn and size 2 sock needles, I got to work. It wasn’t so bad! Not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Although, my virgin pair of socks never got worn. My guess is that there was too much elastic in the yarn that I used because the socks came out much larger than necessary. Unwearable actually. They slouched down to my ankles in a crumpled heap of beautiful, but unrecognizable stitch work. But, I was determined to make another pair. Having mastered the construction of my first pair successfully…almost, I browsed the patterns on Ravelry.com and found a great pattern that I liked (Diversion by Kiersten Hall). Today, I finally finished sock number 1 from this pattern. I attempted to knit this pattern a couple of months ago, but got confused in the directions and ended up frogging the sock before I got too far into it. This time, I learned from my past mistakes and created a beautiful new sock. I was nervous when I tried it on. As I was knitting the foot part, it seemed too big. But alas, it fits me perfectly! The ribbing around the top is even a little too tight and I have to work it up over my calf inch by inch. It is the most comfortable sock and did I mention that it fits my foot perfectly! I can’t wait for cooler, sock wearing weather when I can wear this beauty out in public. Though not very cost effective to make your own socks, this ball of yarn cost me 27 dollars, I highly recommend any knitter to get on the sock making bandwagon. Of course, my next knitting task can undoubtedly be to make the second sock. I better act fast before the 2nd sock syndrome kicks in.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments