Captivated by a book

I have sworn off buying any more books until I have read all of the ones that are sitting forlornly on my shelves. I recently finished Youth in Revolt and its sequel Revolting Youth. There are two or three other books in that series, but I've had my fill of that story line. Hence my decision to sift through the other titles I have yet to read. I came across Everything Matters! on the clearance rack at the bookstore a while ago and was intrigued by the blurb on the jacket cover. To 'shorthand' the story, a boy, while still in the womb, receives a message that the world will be obliterated by a meteor 36 years after he is born. You can imagine the implications this has for the character having this sort of information.

As of now, I am on page 52 of the 302 pages contained within the book. It's a bit hard at first to keep track of all the different characters that the author presents, each advancing the story through their own points of view. However, I am truly captivated by this book. I am finding that I'd like to actually put my knitting aside so I can read, something I rarely do, which is likely the reason I have such a collection of unread books. I'm eager to see what happens to this character and what ultimately happens in the end. Does he use his knowledge to try and save mankind? Or does he simply live life to the fullest all the way to the end?

The exact date of doomsday in this selection is June 15, 2010. The exact date of doomsday according to how some people interpret the end of the Mayan calendar is December 21, 2012. It's interesting that I am reading a book of this nature because I admit to being hesitant to dismiss the hype about 2012. Truthfully, I'm scared by it. I did not have any doubt that nothing was going to happen when the new millenium arrived. Y2K was not scary to me at all. 2012, on the other hand, is not a man-made phenomenon. It doesn't involve computers crashing and the world turning chaotic due to technology failing. 2012 is more of a natural event, one that can not be controlled. Perhaps that's what makes me afraid, knowing that the powers that be probably can't do anything to stop whatever will happen on that day. I refused to see the movie with John Cusack and I refuse to watch the endless marathons of shows on the History and Discovery channels that present information about the end of the world. Seriously, why do we need a show that's entirely about life after people are gone from the earth? Admittedly though, knowing that the earth will rejuvenate itself after we're gone, makes me wish we could control ourselves now and do things to help clean up the earth.
The fear is still there for me, however, about 2012. In my nightstand, there is a bulletin from the church that I attend with an article from a priest that reminds us that we are not meant to know when God will end the world. Though the article does not directly reference the hype about the now infamous future date, it does comfort me knowing that everything may just be alright. But then again, despite that, dread still puts a knot in my stomach when I pass by one of those shows on television, and maybe more so after I finish reading this book.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

1 comments:

g-girl said...

i was just thinking the same thing...funny that you're reading a book with that kind of a storyline knowing your stance regarding the fate of the world. wow, it makes you want to put aside your knitting??? ;)