Summertime

Summer vacation has instilled a newfound laziness in me. I've always been a bit on the lazy side...actually, I've typically been pretty lazy about a lot of things, but this summer, I have felt that laziness grow and multiply. I started my vacation with motivation to do everything I possibly could. With that motivation, I finished knitting my skirt and my beach sweater. The skirt was a huge success, resulting in my total infatuation with it. My beach sweater, not so much. I also started a diet and exercise regime, now, I've regressed back into a routine of eating whatever, and not exercising, even though now, there is absolutely no excuse for not doing it. After a Monday of laying around the apartment and doing practically nothing but laying around and sleeping, I noticed that my Tuesday was starting out much the same way. Although I did go to sleep last night determined to be more productive today. This morning, I felt an urging to get out of the apartment. But even though I still get paid over the summer, bills don't go on vacation, so I'm still broke, as I am 95% of the time. I ultimately decided to do the unthinkable...I went to the pool...by myself. At about 11:00 this morning, I put on my bathing suit, packed a tote bag and headed to the apartment community's pool. I've never been there and felt very self-conscious. After all, my diet has temporarily failed, and my self-image has not improved. But I went anyway. Thankfully, I was the only one there, as the pool had only been open for an hour. I laid out my towel, disrobed and applied the sunscreen. I had a book with me (Our Lady of the Forest by David Guterson), so I opted to read for a while. When the sun started getting too hot, I took a dip in the water. Feeling pretty proud of myself, I went back to reading and even welcomed the two ladies and young boy who came around the time that my mom called and wanted to chat. Then, the gray clouds came and the brief sprinkling of rain, turned into a downpour. I quickly packed up and walked back to my apartment. Though I only got in an hour at the pool, I feel good that I stepped out of my comfort zone and did something different. Of course, now the rain clouds have moved on and the sun is back out, but I think I'll save the pool for tomorrow.


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

summer tends to leave me lethargic as well.